As of June 2022, in cooperation with the initiative’s stakeholders, following major activities have been completed:
- Policy Advisory Committee (PAC) and Managing Committee (MC) meetings held on a regular basis: Through periodic PAC and MC meetings, the current status and future of the initiative are regularly discussed and evaluated to ensure the regional mechanism and underlying activities continue to support trust building and collaborative actions in the region.
- A training manual under the theme of “improving irrigation water efficiency” prepared: The work serves as a synthesis of options to support capacity development in regional context.
- Detailed web-based quantitative and qualitative (SWOT) questionnaires completed with regional stakeholders: The questionnaires served as critical inputs to the report on agricultural water use efficiency in the Middle East.
- The 1st training program held: The first training program under the theme of “Modern Approaches to Improving Irrigation Water Use Efficiency” was held online on 17-19 November 2020 with the participation of irrigation experts from partner countries, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria and Turkey. Different topics were covered such as "crop soil water interactions and scheduling", "modern irrigation technologies and practices", "participatory irrigation" and "capacity development to plan, design, and manage future irrigation systems". A session was also held where country experts made presentations on irrigation management and good practices in their countries to ensure exchange of country knowledge and experiences.
- The 2nd training program held: The second training, in the form of a short course and study tour, was organized on 11-15 October 2021 in Izmır, Turkey. The training with presentations and discussions in different topics also included observational study tours to Water User Associations (WUAs) and irrigation facilities to see good practices in situ. In the last session of the program (overall evaluation), country experts shared their experiences and opinions for the way forward to achieve higher efficiencies in agricultural water use.
- The Report on Agricultural Water Use Efficiency in the Middle East prepared: Under the title of “Improving agricultural water use efficiency and productivity in the Middle East: Pressures, status, impacts and responses”, a report and its synthesis have been prepared that focus on water scarcity, the challenges this brings to irrigated agriculture, and the options available to improve water use efficiency (WUE) and, in turn, increase water productivity and crop production in the region.
Workshop and Study Tour organized: As part of the study dissemination activities, a workshop and study tour were held in Şanlıurfa, Turkey on 24-26 May 2022 with the participation of irrigation experts from Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria and Turkey. The key outcomes and messages of the report titled as “Improving agricultural water use efficiency and productivity in the Middle East: Pressures, status, impacts and responses” were presented and discussed. Each country also delivered presentations on irrigation governance and good practices in their countries to facilitate exchange of knowledge and experience. In addition, field visits were paid to WUA’s and irrigation facilities to observe the practices on the ground.